Sunday, March 23, 2008

SWEET SIXTEEN!

Sorry I didn't post how I thought games would go. Life has been busy so I haven't had much time. Hopefully there will be time where I can reflect on that and talk more but for now let's check out my List of 8 and how my teams are looking.



Duke: Clearly a bad choice. Never looked good in a nailbiter against Belmont and then in a loss to West Virginia. Clearly a team that had no frontcourt presence to balance the perimeter attack was not a legitimate contender. Fortunately that is my only bad choice thus far.



Kansas: No issues. Blew out Portland State and easily dispatched UNLV. The way the bracket is breaking down seems to be in Kansas's favor so I am just as bullish.



Louisville: Was wondering if this was a bad pick as well but after a 30 point shellacking of Oklahoma, the Cardinals are looking pretty good. I like their chances to advance at least one more round.



Memphis: Nearly let it slip away against Mississippi State today. But it's survive and advance. And to get to San Antonio, they will have to survive as all the tough teams are still alive in the South bracket. Need to start hitting free throws.



North Carolina: Still think think they are the weakest #1 seed. But so far they have been impressive.

Texas: Let Miami give them a scare but they are still alive. Need to kick play up a notch.

UCLA: Texas A&M nearly pulled it off but UCLA survived and now seem to have an easy road to San Antonio as their bracket has been busted.

Wisconsin: Have looked outstanding with wins against Cal State Fullerton and Kansas State. No reason to doubt their chances thus far.

So their are nine teams left who can break my streak.

Washington State: I should have included them. Have looked absolutely dominating with humiliations of Winthrop and Notre Dame. North Carolina better be ready to play.
Tennessee: Escaped against Butler but looked weak at times. I think Louisville ends their chances next round. If not, UNC or Wazzu will.
Villanova: Are here because Clemson blew an 18 point lead and Siena played terribly. Don't expect Kansas to be so accomodating.
Davidson: Stephen Curry has scored 30, 40, and 30 in his first three NCAA Tourney games. It's been a magic ride for Davidson, but I think he scores a tournament low for him as Davidson is knocked out by Wisconsin.
Michigan State: The Spartans have looked good so far. I think Memphis knocks them out but if Memphis can't hit free throws, the Spartans can win. Probably the weakest team left in the South though.
Stanford: Escaped against a tough Marquette game. Could beat Texas in a virtual coin flip game.
Western Kentucky: Needed a miracle three against Drake and nearly let San Diego come back to bea them. The Hilltoppers go out against UCLA.
Xavier: Xavier has looked good so far and their chances seem to have improved as they don't have to play Duke. Of course West Virginia is playing well so maybe they wanted Duke.
West Virginia: Xavier and WVU is a coinflip game. Either team could make the Elite 8. But I figure they play UCLA the next round and lose.

So my list is looking pretty solid so far. Obviously I should have had a team like Washington State or Stanford instead of Duke. Oh well. Here is how I would rank the 16 teams remaining on quality. Not based on chances of winning it all.

1. Kansas
2. UCLA
3. Wisconsin
4. Memphis
5. North Carolina
6. Washington State
7. Louisville
8. Texas
9. Stanford
10. Michigan State
11. Tennessee
12. Xavier
13. West Virginia
14. Davidson
15. Villanova
16. Western Kentucky

No comments: