Thursday, January 3, 2008

2007 Movie Rankings

Before I get started, I forgot to include The Lives of Others on last year's list. It would have ranked very highly. Sorry about that.

Now the moment you've been waiting for. The movies that I saw in 2007 ranked from worst to best.

29. Hannibal Rising: I thought Hannibal had assured itself of worst film in the franchise. It has competition now.

28. Halloween: Remakes of classic movies are always a dangerous proposition. Rob Zombie took a classic in horror and raped it to death and unleashed this hideous and completely ridiculous film on us all. May he burn in hell.

27. Ghost Rider: Certainly not the worst comic based movie I've seen. Daredevil and Batman and Robin hold that honor. But it certainly was in the bottom tier. And the director of Daredevil directed this. At least he's improving?

26. Stomp the Yard: Right after Congress passes comprehensive immigration reform, they should ban all these terrible African-American dance based movies. They are a pox on my house. A POX!

25. Alpha Dog: Bad mainly because it thought it was a better movie than it really was. Especially Sharon Stone's stunning impression of DeNiro as late LaMotta at the end. And we know Justin Timberlake is just as good a thespian as he is a musician. That is.....subpar.

24. Reno 911 Miami: Disappointing to say the least. Just couldn't keep consistent laughs throught a feature film.

23. Death Sentence: Probably better than I gave it credit for. At least it's better than the Saw movies. Still just your standard revenge fare. You didn't miss much.

22. 300: Ok guys. It wasn't that good. Get over yourself. There's much better action movies. It was pretty mediocre. I just didn't get the acclaim.

21. Disturbia: Better than you'd think for a blatant Rear Window knock off.

20. Black Sheep: Somewhat humorous horror comedy about killer sheep. Still, the idea was better than the execution.

19. Live Free Or Die Hard: Well it was better than Die Hard 2. Still you don't make a Die Hard with a PG-13 rating. You just don't. And the computer effects were the worst for a major summer film I've seen in awhile.

18. Shooter: It was ok but I still don't understand why everyone I know likes it so much.

17. The Kingdom: Fucking awesome! Kick-ass! I'm being sarcastic of course. Good at times but the ridiculous finale with the attempt at being important failed miserably.

16. Black Book: Decent WWII thriller but it seemed over the top at times.

15. Spider-Man 3: Boy what a comedown from Spider-Man 2 perhaps the best comic based movie ever. Tried to fit 2.5 movies worth of material into one. Did not succeed.

14. Transformers: I've been a longtime critic of Michael Bay. But I give props when it's due. This was his best movie so far. Not saying a lot but it was good and I enjoyed it. There I said it.

13. The Host: Good Korean horror movie. Excellent effects and use of humor although the anti-American tone was a bit much at times.

12. 28 Weeks Later: Surprisingly was just as good as the original. Who's ready for 28 Months Later?

11. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: It's hard to criticize the Potter movies. They are usually very well done. This one as well. The third is still the best though. And it always will be.

10. American Gangster: Solid movie although it was at least 30 minutes too long. Great acting but I think the Oscar buzz is unjustified. I mean I only have it 10th so clearly I'm correct.

9. Knocked Up: Some say it was the year of Judd Apatow. I don't think I disagree. Lost a little luster on repeat viewings but it was just as good as The 40 year Old Virgin (and paced better too). But this was a strong year for comedy as you will continue to see.

8. The Simpsons Movie: What can you say that hasn't been said about The Simpsons by now? Nothing

7. Superbad: Even better than Knocked Up. I was rolling in the floor throughout.

6. Hot Fuzz: Yes Shaun of the Dead was topped with this high octane Michael Bay spoof. The conclusion was perhaps the best action scene of the year.

5. Eastern Promises: Not as strong as A History of Violence but Cronenberg is showing why he's still one of America's top directors. Viggo Mortensen better get a nom.

4. Zodiac: Some say it's David Fincher's best work. I still go with Seven. But this was scary and masterfully directed.

3. Michael Clayton: Perhaps the best ensemble acting this year. Excellent revisionist legal drama.

2. Ratatouille: Perhaps Pixar's best movie yet. Absolutely wonderful. Please see.

1. No Country For Old Men: This may be The Coens' bleakest work yet. A sad look at how random violence touches us all and there's seemingly nothing we can do about it. A brilliant gamble of an ending as well.

No comments: