Friday, January 4, 2008

Don't Stop Bereaving

Me and my brother have come up with an idea. We would like to start a Hall of Fame for people who have succeeded without any discernable talent whatsoever. Some of the entrants would include Chad Kroeger, Fred Durst, P Diddy, Carlos Mencia and Dane Cook.

I'm down nearly 7% in three days. Boo stock market!

Now to see if I can go the fabled 11-0 against the spread in the NFL playoffs. The odds of doing so are about 0.05% but it doesn't hurt to try. Lines are taken from today's USA Today.

EDITED SLIGHTLY AT AROUND 4PM DUE TO CHANGES IN THE LINE

Washington (+3.5) over Seattle.: Let's see...the hottest team in the NFC or one of the most mediocre teams in the playoffs. Or let's try this. Washington was 9-7 against the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL. Seattle was 10-6 against the 32nd toughest. Yes there are only 32 teams in the NFL. I suppose home field gives the Seahawks a bit of an advantage (especially being in Seattle) but the Redskins look like a good pick here.

Pittsburgh (+2.5) over Jacksonville: This is a tough pick. Jacksonville is my brother's dark horse pick and they are clearly a better team than the Steelers. But it is a Pittsburgh home game. All Jacksonville needs is to win by a field goal to cover. Nobody seems to be talking about the Steelers so I'll take them to beat the spread.

New York Giants (+3) over Tampa Bay: I can't believe I'm taking Eli Manning on the road. Tampa is awful though. But won't the Giants be tired after nearly upsetting the Patriots? But Tampa Bay is not very good. Oh this is so hard! I simply can't say Tampa wins by more than a FG if they win at all though. A Giants win seems just as likely.

Tennessee (+10) over San Diego: I had San Diego but since the line is now double digits, I'm going with Tennessee. Norv Turner isn't that good a coach and Jeff Fisher will keep it close.

So I'm picking all underdogs to cover the spread. I'm completely crazy. We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Hazebeast Beasley said...

What, no Scott Stapp? No Britney Spears? No Michael Bolton?

I mean, my god; if they're not in your proposed *Hall of Fame,* no one else deserves to be either.

Hazebeast Beasley said...

Don't forget Ben Stiller

Jeb McRary said...

Agreed to all. Well except Ben Stiller....I'll give him a pass. i thought the Ben Stiller Show was hilarious.