Sunday, January 20, 2008

Some highlights....and lowlights from poker

Well I said yesterday that I lasted about five hours. Here is some of the good plays and the few that bad ones that cost me at the end.

I first went ahead with the chips we started out with (5,000) when I had pocket Kings. I bet aggressively and then flopped trips. I continued to bet aggressively and forced everyone out and grabbed the pot.

Sometimes you're glad when you don't play a hand. I had pocket 3's and thought about it but decided to fold. The flop came and I was pissed because I picked up trip 3's. However, in the end it was good because the turn and river gave someone a flush so if I had played that hand it would have cost me a lot.

Probably my favorite play came when I had 6/5 suited. I decided to play it. And I picked up two more suited and there was an Ace on the board. Everyone seemed very cautious, I raised a large amount very confidently and everyone folded. John Stapleford asked if I had an Ace and I showed and he got really pissed. I enjoyed that greatly.

When about 25 were left, I was still doing pretty well although I had lost some of my winnings on some tough hands. I had a 9 and flopped a pair. Everyone played cautious and I noticed there was a Jack on the board. I decided that was the best anyone could possibly have and that I could bet aggressively and force everyone out. Unfortun,ately I was wrong. Everyone folded except for one girl. All she had was the Jack it turns out but I couldn't force her out. Unfortunately I couldn't pick up a third 9 and she got a running straight. Definitely wasn't smart on my part but I was probably not thinking straight as I had been playing for at least 4 hours.

My last stand came when I decided to go all in with A/10. I didn't have many chips remaining and decided I needed to make a move whenever I got a playable hand. One person stayed in and he had K/J suited. I flopped the Ace, but he flopped the flush. I needed only tens and Aces to survive. And I didn't get them.

And that was the way it ended. I finished higher than any other MBA student. Of course, in a way that sucked because I had to play more than 2 hours longer and still came away with nothing. And it was for charity so I guess I can't complain too much.

No comments: