Friday, March 9, 2007

Apparently I was joking

The way my first round picks for the ACC Tournament went, clearly I must have been pulling everyone's leg. I went 0-4. That's right 0-4. I shouldn't be blamed too much for Clemson-FSU. But the bottom three teams in the ACC each won their first round game. Whoops! This doesn't bode well for my NCAA bracket. Hopefully I'll get all of these kinks out of my picks before the real thing. I still like UNC to win the ACC Tournament, especially since most of the teams I thought would give them a tough game are gone. But I dunno.

One funny thing yesterday. On Sportscenter they were saying "first time in ACC Tournament history that the 4 bottom seeds have advanced from the first round". While technically true, this is a way that statistics lie. ACC Tournament has been around since 1954 I believe. But the bottom seeds had to play tougher teams before. For example, when there were eight ACC teams, #8 played #1, #7 played #2 and so on. But what Sportscenter failed to mention is that in the past couple of years the ACC added BC, Miami, and Virginia Tech. This made 12 teams and so now the top 4 teams get byes. Therefore, the lower seeds have to win more games to win the ACC Tournament. But their first round game is actually "easier" than in previous seasons. Just a thought that everyone seemed to ignore.

It's been mostly major conference action the past two days, but we do have one conference title game today. So I'll pick it.

Patriot: Bucknell vs Holy Cross: Bucknell has been the class of the Patriot League the past couple of years. But Holy Cross tied them in conference and received the #1 seed due to tiebreakers. This wouldn't be a big deal in a major conference. But in a lot of these smaller conferences, the title game is played at the higher seed. That should give Holy Cross an edge. Plus I'm kind of pulling for HC. One of my favorite columnists, Bill Simmons, went to school there, and I'm hoping that if Holy Cross does well in the tournament, he'll get sucked into the glory of college basketball. Of course that might be a bad thing, as when I read his recent college basketball columns, it's clear he doesn't know what he's talking about. Perhaps he should stick to the pro sports columns. Oh well. Go Holy Cross anyway. Holy Cross 62 Bucknell 58

No comments: