Monday, March 12, 2007

East Regional Picks

#1 North Carolina-#16 Eastern Kentucky: Hmm...the most talented team in the country or the champion of the Ohio Valley. God these picks are so hard! North Carolina 86 Eastern Kentucky 56

#8 Marquette-#9 Michigan State:
The #8-#9 match-up is a tad more difficult. I like the Spartans in this one. They struggled some throughout the season with a few losing streaks but like Duke I think they're better than the record indicates. I expect them to turn it into an ugly slog of a game and upend the Golden Eagles. Michigan State 67 Marquette 65

#5 USC-#12 Arkansas:
I'm not sure how USC is a #5 seed. Seems pretty high. Which is why this game screams UPSET ALERT! I've noticed that teams that are generally the most controversial choices in the NCAAs at least win one game. Arkansas will be one of the examples for 2007. Arkansas should be able to exploit its big men and dominate the glass. Don't be too upset USC. You'll be really good with O.J. Mayo coming next year. But this year you'll be a first round victim. Arkansas 69 USC 68

#4 Texas-#13 New Mexico State:
I don't know much about New Mexico State. I do know that Kevin Durant will put up at least 30 on them though. Texas 82 New Mexico State 69

#6 Vanderbilt-#11 George Washington:
I think Vandy has a similar offense to West Virginia. They have five starters who can all knock down threes and when opponents try to guard too closely, they unleash cuts to the basket. They will be vulnerable to a more athletic team. George Washington probably doesn't fit the bill though. G-Dub has some tricky defense but I think the barrage from the 3 point line will be too much. Vanderbilt 74 George Washington 68

#3 Washington State-#14 Oral Roberts:
Could be more interesting than you think. Washington State likes to play very slow and has a very stout defense. Oral Roberts beat Kansas earlier this year so it's quite conceivable they could beat Washington State. They have some very good senior players and they've been to the NCAAs before getting clubbed last year by Memphis. So am I going for the upset? I'm not brave enough. But if Oral does pull off the upset, I won't be surprised. Washington State 69 Oral Roberts 61

#7 Boston College-#10 Texas Tech:
Boston College is talented but I agree with my brother, they are one of the dumbest teams in the ACC (along with Va Tech). I would not be surprised to see BC flame out of the Tourney in spectacular fashion. And Texas Tech could certainly captalize with one of the all time greats Bobby Knight at the helm. But this matchup might be in BC's favor because Texas Tech has been very inconsistent this season. He's struggled since ACC teams have put a clamp on him but expect Jared Dudley to breakout for at least one game and lead BC on to the second round. Boston College 75 Texas Tech 71

#2 Georgetown-#15 Belmont:
No team has risen more in recent weeks in my eye than Georgetown. I really love their section of the bracket and think they could go very far. But it's one game at a time. Sadly for Belmont I don't think they'll be much of a hindrance to the Hoyas. Belmont was blown out by a #2 seed UCLA last year. Expect a similar outcome. Georgetown 78 Belmont 58

No comments: