Sunday, March 18, 2007

List of Eight Update

The first two rounds of the tournament are finished so let's check the status of my List of Eight. Just so you know this is the strongest remaining field of 16 I've ever seen. Truly, anybody can beat anybody else.

Florida: Beat Jackson State 112-69. Beat Purdue 74-67: So far the defending champs are off to a great start. A few minor struggles so far but it's clear that they're not going down without a fight. Up next is Butler which they should outmatch. But beware. They're very well coached and could easily spring an upset.

Georgetown: Beat Belmont 80-55. Beat Boston College 62-55: Solid start for the Hoyas. BC was able to shut down their offense for awhile but their defense has been stellar thus far. Up next is Vanderbilt who has been one of the most impressive teams in the tournament. I like Georgetown but if Vandy keeps playing like they have been, they could keep winning.

Kansas: Beat Niagara 107-67. Beat Kentucky 88-76: Have looked completely dominant. I am really liking their chances. Southern Illinois will try to grind it but I think Kansas's talent will overwhelm them.

North Carolina: Beat Eastern Kentucky 88-65. Beat Michigan State 81-67. Sometimes their focus slips, but they've been able to put away teams fairly easily so far. USC should be an interesting challenge. Especially for a team that I had out in the first round.

Ohio State: Beat Central Connecticut State 78-57. Beat Xavier 78-71: Nearly let their title dream slip away against Xavier. But the name of the game is Survive and Advance. A very hot Tennessee awaits. Ohio State should be able to keep Tennessee grounded though as they will play much slower than the Vols like.

Texas A&M: Beat Pennsylvania 68-52. Beat Louisville 72-69: Escaped basically a road game against Louisville. Will probably have the toughest game next round of any remaining member of my list. Memphis is extremely athletic and could cause some problems.

UCLA: Beat Weber State 70-42. Beat Indiana 54-49: UCLA and Indiana nearly set basketball back 50 years with their brickfest. And they nearly let the Hoosiers come back and win. They can't afford to play that poorly against a very good looking Pittsburgh.

Wisconsin: Beat Texas A&M Corpus Christi 76-63. Lost to UNLV 74-68: My only list member to lose so far. Looked weak in both games and was lucky just to beat Corpus Christi. Clearly I underrated the loss of Butch including them. It would have been wiser to put Memphis or Pittsburgh on my list.

So far, I'm doing pretty well. Seven of my eight remain and most of the teams I was worried about crashing my list are gone. Still, the challenge isn't over yet so let's check the remaining nine real quick.

Butler: Have looked very good so far. If they can get past Florida, I think a Final Four bid is very possible. But I wouldn't expect a title.
Oregon: Looked very good against Winthrop. I don't know how good they are though as they will still only play UNLV next round. I like them to get to the Elite Eight and possibly the Final Four. But my guess is at that point they'll be outmatched.
UNLV: The biggest surprise to me in the Sweet 16. They have 30 wins though so they're pretty good. Still in this field, they look to be the weakest team left. I think one more win would be generous.
Southern Illinois: Definitely have proved their #4 seed was deserved. I just don't think they match up well with Kansas though. And even if they win, they'd have to play Pitt or UCLA. A Final Four bid is too much to ask.
Pittsburgh: One of the two legitimate teams who could ruin my streak. They aren't the favorite but are perfectly capable of beating UCLA and Kansas or any other team in the country. I'll keep my eye on the Panthers.
USC: Totally took apart Arkansas and Texas. But now a date with the North Carolina Tar Heels awaits. I think their luck runs out with that matchup.
Vanderbilt: Looking good so far. I think Georgetown should take them out though.
Tennessee: They seem to be rolling. But the competition moves up a notch with Ohio State. An upset is possible. But in a bracket with Ohio State, Texas A&M, and Memphis...a Final Four bid is wishful thinking.
Memphis: Haven't looked dominant yet. But they're perfectly capable of crashing my bracket. With luck they could get all the way to the title game. I think Texas A&M will beat them but this is the team I'm most worried about.

No comments: