Tuesday, March 20, 2007

What's new

It seems a little quiet in the breaks between the second round and the Sweet 16. Less than 48 hours from more basketball so I have to do other things.

I went to my mandolin lesson today. I think I'm improving quite a bit. I can play somewhat complicated songs (such as Intervention off the new Arcade Fire album). It's not a typical three chord song but it's fairly easy to play once you practice it a couple dozen times.

Speaking of the Arcade Fire, I bought their new album recently. I'll try to have a full review of it tomorrow or Thursday. Don't feel like writing it right now.

One of the executive partners from the William & Mary MBA program is calling me tomorrow. I think he was a former VP at IBM. I think it's just a call to see if I have any questions about the Executive Partner program. I'll have to think of some questions to ask because I've already heard quite a bit about it. I'm not sure if he's my official advisor in the program or if he's just the one who's contacting me. We'll find out tomorrow I guess.

I had a headache yesterday and went to bed at 7 and didn't wake up again till 11. That was a mistake. I didn't go back to bed until 6. In the morning. Not fun. Kind of boring.

Another Bush scandal. This time over fired attorneys. I haven't been following it that much (due to basketball) but it seems pretty confusing to me. I like to think I can understand these things but it's kind of his right to fire attorneys at any time. Whether it was for partisan purposes would make a difference of course. It seems to be blowing up into a major scandal. It's funny how the most minor things seem to turn into the biggest boondoggles. I wonder if Attorney General Gonzales can survive this. Of course Rumsfeld made it all the way to post Election Day 2006, so I may underestimate Bush's loyalty to his failures in the Cabinet.

My stocks have done pretty well as of late. I'm less than 3% from my all time high. After all the volatility in the market that's pretty good. And I'm still doing that CNBC game. I'm sort of lagging and biding my time because I don't know what stock to buy. I'm just building up money with the quiz questions and I'll have to hope I get hot one week so I can get in the Final Competition. Still a lot of time to go.

Some guy associated with the Russ Feingold for President site (which I joined about three days before he withdrew) asked if I wanted to join a new blog and write about progressive issues. I told him tentatively yes, but I may have to pull out. The modern day usage of "progressive" seems to generally mean "liberal" and I'm not really what you'd call a modern liberal. I guess socially I am, so I could write about things of that nature. But my economic beliefs are more conservative. Of course they're also "liberal" in the old sense of the word. But nobody even knows what the hell liberal and conservative mean anymore so there you go. People just fling them as insults without understanding the proper usage.

Hibriten is playing at contest tomorrow. I may go. I haven't seen them play in awhile. And I don't know anyone involved anymore (even the director retired). But...I don't really have anything else to do. So there you go.

That's all I got for now.

No comments: