Thursday, March 22, 2007

Recapping some games

While I wait for the next set of games to start I'll write about the first two.

Kansas-Southern Illinois: About the defensive slugfest I expected. I was disappointed with Kansas even though they advanced. They looked confused and turned it over a lot against the Salukis. They still won but if their next game is going to be another defensive battle and if they play as they did tonight, UCLA or Pittsburgh will beat them.

Memphis-Texas A&M: Didn't get a chance to watch the whole game, but it was as tight a game as I thought it would be. Memphis was able to pull out the win though even though I picked the Aggies. The biggest talk will probably be the call at the end taking 1.1 seconds away from the Aggies off an pass in bounds. I agreed with the call though. What the announcers didn't point out was that the ball was deflected by Memphis and then bounced in-bounds and then landed out of bounds. The announcers thought that 0.2 seconds would be taken off and I thought that would be unfair to Memphis. So far the only commentator I've heard agree with me is Greg Gumbel. I don't know if it should have been down all the way to 2 seconds. But I think it's pretty clear that more than 0.2 seconds should have been taken off the clock as it was. Still a close game and the Aggies have nothing to be ashamed of having a wonderful season. Memphis stays around to haunt my List of Eight.

No comments: