Friday, March 16, 2007

Round 2 Predictions: Saturday

I've started out pretty well with the predictions. If you count the play-in game, I'm 16-1 through the first full day of action. I'd be surprised if I keep doing that well though because the upsets have been few so far. I expect a couple of shockers for today's action. I just don't know where from. But while I have some free time, I'll make predictions for Saturday's games.

#1 Ohio State-#9 Xavier: The selection committe's humor strikes as Ohio State's Thad Matta will be coaching against his former team. Ohio State had a pretty easy time with Central Connecticut State while Xavier was a dogfight with BYU that probably ranks #2 for most exciting game thus far. I think Xavier could give OSU some trouble but Ohio State's size should dominate Xavier throughout the game. And I'm just not real confident in A-10 teams this year as it was a down year for the conference. Ohio State 77 Xavier 68

#4 Maryland-#5 Butler:
Davidson gave Maryland some trouble, but in the last ten minutes, the superior athletes had worn down Davidson and Maryland ended up with the win. I think the same thing could happen here. Butler is a good team no doubt. But this just seems like a bad matchup because Butler wants to win games at a slow pace. Meanwhile Maryland likes to run. I like the Terps in this one. Maryland 70 Butler 66

#3 Texas A&M-#6 Louisville:
After watching the first round I may have originally chosen the wrong team to advance. Louisville humiliated Stanford from the word go while the Aggies struggled against Penn until the final 13 minutes or so. I also didn't consider that the committee basically gave Louisville two home games in Lexington, KY and as a #6 seed that is inexcusable. But life is not fair. So who do I have? I'm going to stick with the Aggies although I'm not as confident as I was before. I expect this to be a very close game with a game winning shot by Acie Law in the final seconds. But I would not be surprised if the Cardinals advance. They are that good. Instant classic anyone? Texas A&M 67 Louisville 66

#3 Washington State-#6 Vanderbilt:
Another game that I have doubts as to my original pick. It had nothing to do with Washington State as they dispatched Oral Roberts with some ease. But Vanderbilt beat George Washington by 33 points! Just an anomaly or is this Vandy team for real? I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I'm going to stick with Washington State as they were my original pick but this looks like another coin flip game. Washington State 68 Vanderbilt 67

#2 Georgetown-#7 Boston College:
Boston College is very weak defensively. Against one of the top offensive teams in the nation, this is not a good sign. BC has a very good offense but Georgetown has a solid defense too. I have no more confidence in BC. Georgetown 75 Boston College 66

#3 Pittsburgh-#11 Virginia Commonwealth:
VCU-Duke has been the best game of the tournament and the best moment so far. In hindsight, I should have picked Duke. I was not aware they had such a good pressing defense and against a turnover prone team like Duke, that was deadly. Can VCU pull off another upset? They are in the same conference as George Mason. And who did they beat in the Colonial Championship game? George Mason. Still, I'm going to pick against them again. Pitt is a more patient team than Duke. I think they'll be able to slow the game down and solve VCU's press. Their size should give them a distinct advantage. However, if they can't solve the press than VCU could be in the Sweet 16. Pittsburgh 77 VCU 67

#2 UCLA-#7 Indiana:
Both teams had pretty impressive wins in the first round. This is an interesting game. I think Indiana is very capable of an upset. Even with UCLA's defense, this game will probably be higher scoring than the Bruins' comfort zone. But I like this UCLA team a lot and I think Indiana might still be a couple years away from contending for national titles. UCLA 70 Indiana 66

#1 North Carolina-#9 Michigan State:
Michigan State pitched a shutout on Marquette for the first 10 minutes showing how strong their defense was. North Carolina won by 19 but they made it more interesting than it should have been by allowing EKU to cut it to 4 in the second half from a 27 point deficit. The Tar Heels cannot be that turnover-prone against Michigan State or they will lose. Simple as that. I think this will be UNC's toughest game until the Elite Eight. I think UNC's pressure will be too much. They will force a lot of turnovers and get some easy baskets to advance. But expect a hard-fought game before UNC pulls away late. North Carolina 72 Michigan State 65

No comments: