Monday, February 5, 2007

ACC Analysis Revisited

It's been three weeks since my last look at the ACC so I thought I'd see how things have changed since then. Granted I don't have a rooting interest anymore (You know who you are) but I'd say most of my readers do have some sort of interest. And besides the Southern and the Colonial aren't the best conference in America. So what's going on in the ACC. Conference record in parenthesis.

Boston College 16-6 (7-2) Last time I said to expect BC to drop off soon. That hasn't happened yet as they're currently tied for the lead in the conference. I'm still not totally sold on the Eagles and I still think the real tough games are coming. But my pessimism looks slightly unwarranted now. They'll probably win 10 conference games.

Clemson 18-5 (4-5) The Tigers have really hit a rough patch losing 5 of their last 6 games. Some have been close like the robbery against Duke but they need to turn things around if they want to assure themselves of a bid. I expect them to finish around .500 in conference play.

Duke 18-5 (5-4) Duke just isn't winning the close ones like they used to. My grandfather who is a huge Duke fan said they'd finish 8-8. I'm a little more optimistic. But with four losses and still needing to play UNC and Maryland twice apiece plus a trip to Clemson leaves many a Duke fan leery. Don't be mistaken though. This team is capable of winning the national title. I'm just not sure I'd put money on it.

Florida State 17-6 (5-4) Since my last analysis, FSU is 5-1 only losing to BC by 3. And all their remaining games are winnable. I was wrong last time. FSU should finish with a winning conference record and possibly get in the NCAA.

Georgia Tech 14-8 (3-6) The Yellow Jackets have really struggled since my last update. Losing to Carolina, Maryland and Va Tech isn't terrible, but Wake Forest? This is a good team but they've put themselves in a bad position for the postseason. They'll struggle to finish .500 in the conference.

Maryland 17-6 (3-5) Another pretty good team that might be on the outside looking in. Just can't seem to get a good streak going in the league. They'll struggle to be at .500 in the ACC as well.

Miami 9-14 (2-7) I wasn't sure if NC State, Wake Forest or Miami was the worst team in the ACC this year. I'm convinced now. Miami hasn't won since my last analysis losing six straight. And it's fully possible they won't win again.

North Carolina 20-3 (6-2) The haters need to hush. Even though they lost to NC State, this is still the best team in the conference and perhaps the nation. Currently they're 3rd in the standings but they should be able to pass BC and Virginia. They might lose one or two more conference games but that's it.

North Carolina State 13-8 (3-5) Let's not get carried away. Great win against the Tar Heels. But now I'm hearing how they can make a run to March Madness. Please. This is still one of the bottom three teams in the league. Expect this to be the peak of their season. They'll win 2 or 3 the rest of the way.

Virginia 15-6 (7-2) The anti-Miami. They've come out of nowhere to win six straight. I don't think they're one of the bet in the conference, but they're 7-2 and the schedule sets up pretty favorably. I'm picking them to finish 2nd.

Virginia Tech 16-7 (6-3) Definitely have come back to earth since beating Duke and UNC. Still in great position to finish high and earn a bid to the Dance though.

Wake Forest 10-12 (2-8) Well, at least they have won since my last analysis unlike the Canes. Clearly though this is a rebuilding year. They'll beat Winston-Salem State (hell Iona could beat them) and probably Miami. The Deacon faithful are eagerly awaiting football season.

I've always wanted to say that.

No comments: