Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A confluence of events

Some pretty interesting news today...

There was a suicide bombing in Afghanistan today where 23 people were killed. Apparently, the primary target was Vice-President Dick Cheney. However he wasn't in the immediate area and was rushed to a bomb shelter.

Remember how I warned that that the stock market (especially my stocks) have had a pretty remarkable run and were due for some correction? Looks like my prediction is coming true today. The news of the attack in Afghanistan, Alan Greenspan's remarks of an imminent recession, China stocks getting pummeled, among many others are killing stocks today. And I think it's safe to say that my 10 session winning streak will be ending today barring a remarkable comeback. Good timing Jeb. Selling the bond fund yesterday. That was wise.

On a good note, Cogent reported earnings yesterday and investors seemed to deem it acceptable. It's the only stock up mine that is up today. The one that's been the lone loser in my portfolio for quite some time. What can you say?

Since I used to be a baseball card nut, I'll share that the famous Honus Wagner T-206 card has sold for a record $2.35 million. I think my all time most valuable was a Mike Schmidt jersey card. It booked for triple digits. But I doubt I could get that for it.

I have a comic that books for a over $1,000. But it doesn't go for but about 25% that on eBay. Oh well.

I think I should stick to more liquid investment vehicles such as stocks.

No comments: