Monday, February 26, 2007

The madness continues

Barring a complete meltdown later today, my winning streak is going to go to 10. And it may be another big day. JAKKS Pacific had really great earnings and is currently up about 14%. That's the toy company that I got my brother to invest in. So if I want any of my stocks to do well, it's that one so my brother doesn't get burned with his first investment.

I bought Meritage Homes today. It's the 13th largest homebuilder in the country. When housing was booming everyone said house prices and sales would go up forever. I didn't believe so I stayed the hell out of real estate and homebuilders. Now that the bubble has burst, commentators would have us believe every homebuilder is going down in flames and will all have to file for bankruptcy. I don't believe that either. So I've been thinking for several weeks of buying one. I looked at some others but with the research I've done, Meritage seems to be one that will come out of the troubles in the best shape. And since they're in 13th place they have more room to grow than say D.R. Horton which is #1.

I'm going to sell my bond mutual fund. I decided I'm 22 and have no reason to be investing in bonds. I don't know what I was thinking. On a bright note, I think it will be reported as a loss even though I've made money. The money I made was income and I'll be paying taxes on that this year. At least that's the way I understand it. Of course I made a C in Accounting II so what do I know?

The Wisconsin-Ohio State game was pretty good. I haven't seen bracket projections for today, but I assume Ohio State is up to a #1 seed now. Especially with losses by Florida and UNC. They might not have passed both of them AND Wisconsin but they surely got in front of at least one which is all they need right now.

I'm taking a shower now and off to the vet. Later

No comments: