Tuesday, February 27, 2007

That was hideous.

Well the slaughter on Wall Street is thankfully over. For the day at least. I've been leery about my sharply rising portfolio and the fact that the major indices hadn't had a big percentage drop in several years. The laws of statistics finally caught up. The Dow, S&P, and NASDAQ all lost more than 3% today with the NASDAQ closer to 4. My portfolio at least held up some being as risky as it is coming in with a 3.98% decline. I don't think I've ever lost a 4 digit number in one day. A first time for everything. On a brighter note, with the rise I've had this year, I'm still up nearly 10%. Which is great since all the major averages are now in the red for the year. I guess we'll see in the coming days and weeks whether this was just a needed "shaking of the trees" on Wall Street or the start of a longer correction. I feel we could be in a downtrend for a little while. I don't know about a recession though. I feel that we can make it into at least 2008 before the dreaded R word hits us. But the thing about recessions is nobody knows when they're coming and in fact, we generally don't know we had one until after it's over.

No comments: