Tuesday, February 6, 2007

'arry Potter?

Recently, the release date for the final Harry Potter book was announced. I'm not a huge fan of the books. The first three are pretty good but the fourth one I never made it through (it's tripe). One thing that seemed odd to me though was the release date. Many were guessing it would be released July 7 (7/7/07). However, it's actually being released later in the month. Why the intentional avoiding the cool release date? Well I'm not certain, but just by random luck I was reading The Economist and they were suggesting that Germany might be in danger of being added to the list of dates of terror (due to re-running the Muhammad cartoons.) They mentioned 9/11 in New York, 3/11 in Madrid, and wouldn't you know it, July 7 in London. I hadn't thought of that and I suppose most American Potter fans hadn't thought of it either. So I haven't seen anything definitive, I would guess that out of respect for the anniversary of the London bombings, that that is why the release date is when it is. Especially since Rowling is a British writer.

In other Harry Potter news, I was in Barnes & Noble today and I had an idea. If I'm not busy doing anything, I'm going to attend the release of the Harry Potter book. When the last one came out I was making small talk because I was there the same day. I asked how many people they were expecting. They said they got something like 700 if I remember correctly for the previous one. IN HICKORY!!! I was astounded. I knew Harry Potter was a phenomenon. But still I was amazed. So I've decided if I'm free that I will attend the grand release. I had an idea too about fabricating a press pass so I can interview people and get their thoughts so I can have a classic entry to my blog later. I should check though to see if impersonating media is illegal. I'll have to check on that.

No comments: