Saturday, February 17, 2007

Hola

Yeah I haven;'t updated today. I've been tired and when I wasn't tired I was busy playing without new dog Sadie. Yes Mom got a new dog. She said Daisy needed a friend. And she knew someone that was getting rid of theirs because the couple had recently had a baby or something like that. She's a 4 month old German pointer. She seems to like me. She keeps jumping on the couch to lay with me. The dachshunds don't really like her but Daisy does. They have played nearly nonstop. Which is funny because Daisy is a basset so she's low to the ground while Sadie is very lanky. Good times.

The Senate voted not to tart debate on the Iraq war resolution. There were 56 votes in favor but as you political junkies know you need 60 in the Senate to end debate. As I said it's a worthless resolution. Put some teeth in it or shut up.

Appalachian got a big win in basketball beating the Wichita State Shockers. That will definitely help the at-large candidacy. I'm still doubtful, but it can't hurt.

Florida lost today to Vanderbilt. Their long winning streak is over. I always forget that Vanderbilt has an odd arena. The coaches and bench are at the endzones of the court. Not the sidelines. And the court is raised so it's higher than the first few rows. Never understood that. Now that the Gators have lost, I think Memphis has the longest winning streak in the country. And they're up 8 on Gonzaga at halftime.

Kansas beat Nebraska 92-39. Ouch.

I guess the marquee game tonight is North Carolina-Boston College. The game could help decide the regular season ACC Title (diluted from expansion but whatever). If BC wins, they are in first by themselves. If the Tar Heels win, it's a tie for first between UNC and Virginia. I'm picking the Tar Heels tonight. It's in Boston, but UNC is the most talented team in the country. After the loss to Va Tech, I think they'll be real motivated to come out strong on BC. I guess BC could be pumped to for their loss against Duke. But I'm not real bullish on Boston College. They don't really have a marquee win that shows me they are among the elite in the country. So I say UNC wins by 10.

The obituary this week in The Economist was Anna Nicole Smith. Which was unexpected because they generally stick to people more of the stature of say Gerald Ford or former Chilean dictator Auguste Pinochet. Even when a titan doesn't die, they sometimes pick good ones. Two weeks ago was the inventor of the instant noodle. It was a good obituary though. I love The Economist but their obituaries are still a distant second to the New York Times which are more like essays or novellas about the subject's life. Those are always entertaining in a slightly morbid fashion.

Speaking of Anna Nicole Smith, apparently Britney Spears went to a tattoo parlor and shaved herself completely bald. I drop Anna Nicole Smith's name because I'm guessing the Vegas odds of Britney ending up dead by year-end are starting to soar. Just saying.

No stock market Monday. Stupid President's Day! But I hit another all time high. I suppose I should be leery. These constant all-time highs are generally just a massive set-up for a crash or bear market. In case this happens, I'll record this doom-saying for posterity's sake. But Lenox and Deltathree had very good days Friday. And I bought a new company. Wellman. Their main line of business is extremely sexy. They manufacture PET resins which is basically the plastic soft-drink bottles. They do a few other things but that seems to be the main thing. They've been in the doldrums for a while so hopefully I've picked them up on the cheap.

No comments: