Sunday, February 18, 2007

Turn my headphones up!

I was checking who's on Meet the Press today. It's White House press secretary Tony Snow. That might be pretty good. I think Mr. Snow is a pretty good press secretary. Much better than Scott McClellan. "But Jeb," you say, "aren't press secretaries just a bunch of liars?" Well, yeah. That's their job. And can we criticize someone for lying or tell misleading half-truths when their job is to lie and tell misleading half-truths? I think not! Scott McClellan was just pathetic and totally unbelievable. Watch a Tony Snow press conference. He's so good he could pull down his pants and pee on everybody, tell them it's raining and I swear the Washington Post would have a cover story about how it started raining in the White House Press Room. He did work for Fox News so he has experience with lying. *Rimshot

Does anyone else check the news, see the top story saying something along the lines of "2 Baghdad car bombs kill 56, injure 127" and get confused as to what day it is? It's like a game of depressing deja vu.

Carolina beat Boston College. Told ya.

The Daytona 500 is today. I'm not really a die-hard NASCAR fan but since I live in North Carolina, I am actually contractually obligated to watch the Daytona 500 every year. If you don't, I think you're at risk of being deported to New Jersey. But that's probably the only NASCAR race I'll watch all year. I predict Tony Stewart wins the NEXTEL Cup. CHeck back in many months to see if I was right.

A small political update. I like most people currently have Hillary Clinton as the odds-on favorite to become the next President in 2008. But an interesting issue has been developing. Her refusal to apologize for the Iraq War Resolution. In case you don't remember, before Bush invaded Iraq, there was a resolution put before Congress authorizing the use of force if blah blah blah. Anyway, just about every major contender for President at the time voted for this resolution. John Kerry. John Edwards. Dick Gephardt. And so did Hillary although she didn't run in 2004. They did it because they were scared to challenge the President in the post 9/11 environment and they thought voting no would make them look like weak hippie liberals. It turned out slightly different than they anticipated. Here's the problem for Hillary. Barack Obama was in the State Senate at the time but still said he opposed the authorization of force. Although the incredibly two-faced John Edwards defended his vote in 2004 to the death, he has now miraculously seen the light (and checks from the left wing of the Democratic party) to become an anti-war populist. As much as I dislike him, it was probably a smart move. Hillary however refuses to actually say "I was wrong". She says things like "If I knew how the President would..." and "With what I know now..." That doesn't count. She is taking a big risk. Perhaps it's bravery. But it's going to be hard for her to win this nomination against two anti-war critics who either opposed it from day one or have had a "moment of clarity". Nobody in the left-wing of the Democratic Party is going to vote for her if she doesn't apologize. I don't know how large the left-wing is currently, but you know that from the last election, they're smelling blood. So I think Mrs. Clinton needs to swallow her pride and be willing to admit that she was wrong. It's not impossible, but if she doesn't it will be a very hard slog through the primaries.

No comments: