Monday, February 5, 2007

Can't win 'em all

I noticed that Lear has shot to nearly $40 a share because of a takeover offer by Carl Icahn. This sort of burns because I had seriously considered buying shares in the troubled auto parts manufacturer when it was around $15 or so. And that was less than a year ago. That would have been a nice gain. Of course I hit an all-time high on Friday so perhaps I should stop complaining.

Seriously that was a blah Super Bowl last night. It just lacked the usual fanfare I guess.

Now we're in the "Dead Zone" of the sports calendar. Everyone complains because for the next month or so there isn't any postseason or championships as NFL and baseball are on hiatus. But I think this is the time when college basketball becomes #1 in the sports consciousness. So I don't mind the Dead Zone at all.

After the Super Bowl I watched The Battle of Algiers. Highly recommended. If you want to understand the Iraq War more, then just watch this and substitute Iraq for Algeria and America for France. But since some people are stubborn I should warn. It's in French (and I think Algerian....that part didn't sound French) and it's in black and white. I know some people won't give it a chance because it has those two "strikes" against it. But if you don't. You're missing out.

No comments: