Friday, February 23, 2007

End of an Era

I sold Activision today.

I'd probably held it too long. It hadn't really done much the past couple of years. But I had owned it since December 2002 which makes it the stock I've held the longest. And it was the 2nd best stock I ever owned in terms of performance. I had a total return of over 250% on it. I got rid of my final stake mainly to diversify a little more. I've been pretty exposed to tech lately and Activision is the second largest video game publisher. There's another stock I may buy on Monday. I'd buy it today but my account has day trading regulations and I can't put money I didn't have at the start of the day into new securities until the next trading day. So farewell Activision. May we meet again someday!

I did buy a new one today though. Genesis Microchip. They're a semiconductor company that puts devices into flat panel devices such as computer monitors and flat screen TVs. It was trading below $8 when I bought and it has over $5 in cash per share. That says deal to me. Early indications are good. It's up to $8.33 last I checked.

Tom Vilsack dropped out of the race for President today. His campaign wasn't looking that strong. I think he was the former Iowa Governor and he wasn't even leading in polls for the Iowa caucus. A good rule of thumb is if you can't win your own state, you might as well give up. He probably didn't have much of a chance of raising the money to compete with Edwards, Obama and Clinton either. The left wing also hates him because he was the leader of the Democratic Leadership Council for a time which basically shunned anti-war Democrats. And the left wing smells blood so yeah...not much of a chance. Among people actually running, I think Bill Richardson is the only one who could potentially be a serious factor not among the Big Three. Al Gore could but he may not run. Wesley Clark must not be because he's taking too much time and his support is drying up. I think Biden sunk his candidacy in the first week. Others like Dodd, Gravel, Kucinich, etc just don't look to have the support network. But I guess anything can happen.

No comments: