Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Truth is stranger than fiction

The dean of West Point had enough. He decided that it something needed to be done to stop Americans from torturing prisoners He headed to the airport with some of his key advisers and where did they fly? And yes I stole this part from the article. It's not plagiarism if I admit that I'm stealing.

Abu Ghraib? No
Guantanamo? No
Secret CIA Prisons?
Hollywood? Yes

What's in Hollywood? Well they film 24 there. They met with the producers of the acclaimed show and asked them to stop having the actors who play Americans from torturing prisoners. This is true. This concerns me in so many ways. But I'll only mention one because it has blown my mind so. The dean said he's concerned that some of his cadets may think that the way they torture on 24 is how it should be done in real life when interrogating a suspect. But isn't West Point one of the best schools in the country? I mean, it's not the dregs of society that get in. It's not the stereotypical grunt who attends West Point. It's one of the finest institutions of learning in the country. If the cadets honestly can't separate reality from fiction, then I think we need to stop lionizing these Ivy League schools or Service Academies because it's clear that there is no discernible difference in their student quality than any other school in the country.

Where I read this.

No comments: