Thursday, February 1, 2007

Let's play a game

Unbelievable. I thought Iona would get blown out tonight. But they didn't. But...they didn't win either. They lost by...ONE MEASLY POINT! Another heartbreaking loss this time to Siena. Siena made the last shot with 0.5 seconds left. I'm just shaking my head now.

I saw Saw 3 tonight. (SAW SAW SAW). I've never seen the others. I'll stick to Seven instead thanks. But I hope that Saw 3 is the worst of the series so far. Because it was terrible in every way. Anyone who films horror like they're auditioning for MTV should be shot. The most ridiculous twists I've ever seen. Plus, it wasn't even that horrifying. Hostel, while not outstanding, did a much better job. Saw 3 doesn't even deserve its own post to review. It might be the worst movie I've seen in the last several years. And I saw White Chicks!

This isn't original to me, but someone on Slate had an interesting comment. Is the resurgence of torture horror partially inspired by the Abu Ghraib controversies and Guantanomo Bay? We've had the Saw series, Hostel, the remake of The Hills Have Eyes, etc. Surely it can't be a coincidence that these and others are being made at the same time as the debate of torture in the public consciousness? Or maybe we're giving filmmakers too much credit and they're making glorified snuff films. I think most know my thoughts on horror. Give me restrained horror such as The Thing, Alien, and The Descent.

No comments: