Tuesday, February 13, 2007

House of Pleasure

I've decided to watch the debate on the new Iraq war resolution. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion what will happen (they'll pass a nonbinding resolution criticizing Bush's Iraq policy) but it's always entertaining to watch grandstanding politicians. And at least the House will get something accomplished. The Senate couldn't even agree on which resolution to debate so nothing even got started. This whole process is useless. If the Democrats really oppose Bush's policy they should make it binding in some way. But they're scared that if they cut off funding and Iraq totally falls apart they'll get the brunt of the blame. So it's prudent politically but virtually worthless in reality. The Republicans want to have an alternate resolution debated but it looks as if the Democrats won't let that happen. They want every Congressman on the record with their vote. Hopefully, I'll see my lame and completely outmatched Congressman Patrick McHenry. I'm sure he'll bring great shame to our district as he normally does. I have complete and utter faith in him.

I issued my opinion on the surge fairly recently saying that I supported it. My problem is it's not far enough. The Bush administration has tried to fight this war in a half-assed way and it's really not enough. So I probably wasn't totally clear on that. They should send either a lot more troops (70,000+) or pull out. They have chosen to only do 20,000. If nothing is accomplished by the end of the year, it will be time to throw in the towel.

Unless the Bushies trick the country into war with Iran. If after the "weapons of mass destruction" garbage with Iraq, any of you believe any of this propaganda on Iran, you deserve to be sent to the front line.

Mitt Romney has officially announced his candidacy for President. He's one of the top Republicans but I don't know how he'll do in the South. He is a Mormon. That sect isn't real popular down here. I think they're somewhere between homosexuals and Commies.

I love the nonsense that continues (mostly with the Democratic party). "We support the troops. But we don't like the war". That is totally preposterous. And it's cowardly. It's like saying that you're pro-education. Or anti-cancer. Or pro-life. Or pro-choice. It implies that your opponent is the exact opposite. And who wants to be pro-cancer. It's kind of like now people against globalization call themselves "fair trade" supporters. Which is the opposite of "free trade". Both sound good even though they're completely contradictory beliefs. I hate doublespeak.

A former Iraq war veteran comes up..."I take the floor not as a Democrat or a Republican, but as a soldier " (paraphrasing). Funny thing. He's got a D beside his state of Pennsylvania. That means he's most likely a Democrat.

My blog posts seem to be generally leaning negative. So I'll try to close with something positive. I was talking about the Worst President Ever debate and how I come down in full fledged support of James Buchanan. But who is the Greatest President Ever. I have generally always liked Franklin Delano Roosevelt. But today, I'm coming down with a safe choice. George Washington. How cowardly of me right? Well, Washington is a template that many other Presidents have not followed. He rejected power. He did want to be royalty and rule by decree. He refused a third term even though it was allowed at the time. If he had ruled like a tyrant, the United States may not have made it very far. Another reason to support him is that he is not guilty of many of the crimes other so-called great Presidents did. Lincoln suspended civil liberties during the Civil War. FDR interned Japanese-Americans. Ronald Reagan funded Iran-contras. It seems as if every President has gotten too power-hungry at times and expanded the reach of the presidency to the detriment of the nation. Not Washington. And that's why I currently place him at the pinnacle of U.S. Presidents.

No comments: