Sunday, January 28, 2007

Anyone up for a game of tennis?

Now I think most would realize I'm not a huge tennis fan. Not that I don't respect people who are good at it but it's just not my thing like say college basketball. And sure I fawn over Maria Sharapova but that's not why I'm talking about tennis. No I'm here to talk about my favorite athlete in any sport. And that's Roger Federer. He won the Australian Open today which gives him 10 Grand Slam trophies. So he's only four away from the record by Pete Sampras of 14. But consider this...it took Sampras 12 years to win those 14. It's taken Federer 3.5 years. That's right. He's won 10 Grand Slams in less than 4 years. Seeing as there are only four Grand Slam events each year (Australian, U.S., French, and Wimbledon) that's pretty damned impressive. What's really funny is how the American press keeps trying to act like Andy Roddick is getting close to being a rival to him. I've seen several finals where they talked about it but I've watched...Roddick is clearly outmatched. It's truly a man among boys. Even this year, everyone was suggesting that with Jimmy Connors helping Andy Roddick that the gap had been closed. Uh....no. Federer beat him in straight sets. But don't feel bad Andy. Federer beat everyone at the Australian in straight sets. That's right. He didn't lose one stinking set. That's astounding at a major.

The only knock on Federer is his performance on clay. He has yet to win the French Open and it won't be easy as his best competitor Rafael Nadal is a true champion on clay courts. We'll find out at the next major though. Personally I can't wait for another Federer-Nadal final rematch on clay. But I have a feeling Federer is ready to end that sole blemish on his resume. Should be interesting.

No comments: