Friday, January 19, 2007

Energy Subsidies

Democrats in the House this week voted to take away many of the tax breaks that America's oil companies have enjoyed for several years. Bravo! I just hope they don't plan to give subsidies to the alternative energy industries. Why? Because we don't know which industry is the best solution. Is it ethanol? Wind? Solar? Nuclear? I don't know. You don't know. And I don't think the government knows either. We should let the market decide which is the best solution for energy needs in the future. Don't give any of these companies subsidies and see who is best. of what I have read, nuclear is probably the most efficient "clean" power. Ethanol takes a hell of a lot of energy just to produce, takes corn out of the food supply, and is actually not that efficient. I just hope we don't waste taxpayer money on something that turns out to not be that great a solution.

No comments: