Tuesday, January 16, 2007

An Ode to Iona

I'm dedicating this post to the Iona College. Why? They are the only Division I basketball team not to have won a game yet. Currently the school located in New Rochelle, New York is 0-16. Now granted I don't think they're the worst team in the country. For example 6-10 Alabama A&M is currently #336 in Ken Pomeroy's latest efficiency rankings. Hint! There are 336 teams in Division I basketball. And if you check out Blue Ribbon's daily power poll 2-15 Denver is still pulling the rear.

So what's the problem with Iona. Well, they can't score. They opened the season with 38 points against Winthrop. Their high so far this year was 76 against Fairfield. But that game was in overtime. Highest in regulation was 66 against Loyola (MD).

What's even more remarkable is that Iona won their conference last year. So what's happened. According to an article I'll post at the end, lots of things. Inopportune injuries. Lots of underclassmen playing. Things like that.

Do I think Iona will go winless. Nope but the season is rapidly drawing to a close. Perhaps they'll get it when they host Canisus. Or play host to Rider. How about when they play St. Peter's two straight. They'll probably pull out a couple of wins by the end of the year. But until then, I dedicate this post to you Iona.

What's Wrong With Iona

No comments: