Monday, January 22, 2007

The Legend of Zelda Compendium

As you may have guessed, The Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite game series. That's the main reason I haven't been posting much lately. I've been busy trying to solve all the puzzles and dungeons. So since I've been in that mode for the past several days, I decided to do a ranking of all the Zelda games I've played. Now I never played them all so some like Wind Waker, Zelda II, Minish Cap, and the supposedly godawful CDi games I never played. But I'll be ranking the rest. Here we go.

8. Oracle of Seasons- Gameboy- Released with Oracle of Ages. To totally beat the game(s) you have to beat both. This one isn't quite as great as Ages but it's very good. The gimmick is you can control the seasons and cause snow to melt, leaves to fall, etc.

7. Majora's Mask- Nintendo 64- The second N64 version. In this, you have three days to save a world from destruction. Interesting features as you must go back in time before the world ends and keep doing things over and over to save everything.

6. Link's Awakening- Gameboy- My favorite for a long time. It's not quite as classic as the remaining five. You wake up on an island and have to solve the mysteries of the Wind Fish.

5. The Legend of Zelda- NES- Can't shortchange it because it started the series. Is a classic, but I still think it's nearly impossible to understand. Doesn't give the great story the others do.

4. Oracle of Ages- Gameboy- Released with Oracle of Seasons. You can control time in this one. The puzzles are really tricky.

3. Ocarina of Time- N64- At one time I thought a 3-D Zelda would never work. How wrong I was. Astounding in every way.

2. Twilight Princess- GameCube- Right now I'd put it above Ocarina of Time but that might change. The Wii version is supposed to be even better but I don't know if I'd want to play Zelda on the Wii. Maybe the best dungeon designs and innovative boss fights in any Zelda. Not too difficult in fighting though which is disappointing. I've died very few times and have yet to die against a boss. Which is unusual in a Zelda game.

1. A Link to the Past- Super NES- My favorite game on my favorite system. Best overall everything: Story, dungeons, bosses, etc. If Nintendo can ever top this classic I'll be amazed.

No comments: