Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar Nominations

A few thoughts...

1. I'm pretty surprised that Dreamgirls wasn't nominated for Best Picture. The buzz was that it would be one of the leading contenders.

2. I'm disappointed that Children of Men wasn't. But I'm not surprised.

3. I'm happy that Little Miss Sunshine was nominated. I don't think it should win but it is a delightful film.

4. No nomination for Jack Nicholson in The Departed? Heresy!

5. At the moment, I'd say The Departed is the heavy favorite. One because it was nearly universally regarded as the best film (which I thought it was). And even if it wasn't, it's high time to reward Scorsese. Although Brokeback Mountain was a big favorite last year and was surprised by Crash. Who could be this year's Crash? I say Babel. But I haven't seen it so I won't judge.

6. A lot of times the Best Director award is the same as Best Picture so you can see some interesting omissions or additions. Only one this year but notice what it is. Paul Greengrass was nominated for United 93 but his movie was beat out by Little Miss Sunshine for Best Picture. Why? Because the Academy is a bunch of cowards and they try to make "safe" picks. That's why Brokeback Mountain lost last year. Everyone knows it was better than Crash. But they were afraid to award the top prize to the "gay cowboy" movie. United 93 was a quality film and no disrespect to Little Miss Sunshine, they were afraid to nominate something that so movingly portrays the September 11 attacks.

7. No Borat for Best Picture/Actor?

8. I'll end with this little fact. Eddie Murphy could win an Oscar. Just thought you should know.

No comments: